Tuesday, July 28, 2009

11.5 Things: Thing #2

I am familiar with some of these word manipulation sites already... I have used Wordle quite a bit and I love it. However, some of these are new to me, so I'll highlight those and give examples related to those "new" learning opportunities.

* Wordsift is similar to wordle, but with less options, in my opinion. I see its value, but I'll choose Wordle over it any day. Students could take a paper, poem, or anything they just wrote and enter it to see where the cloud "settles"... something I know they'd enjoy!
* Glogster... I have heard of this and played with it very little. Making a poster online is simply spectacular. It's kind of like a graffiti wall on crack. I definitely love it! I think it's a much more valuable assignment than cutting and pasting to a piece of cardboard to turn in to a teacher. It requires a great deal of tech-savvy-ness (is that a word?) to get everything set and ready for display. I spent a long time selecting a background and uploading pictures, etc., and then my computer froze and I had to restart, therefore losing my project. :( No fun.
* Voice Thread was fun, but I liked the other things better. Students would enjoy it and it's a good thing to offer teachers as an option.
* Animoto and I are friends, but not as good as I want us to be. I frequently forget that I've subscribed and can make whatever videos I want! The thing that bugs me most is the music... it never comes out the way I want it to and I don't enjoy it as much as if I could put my OWN music on, but that would be a copyright problem, of course. But I do love it.
* My Voki is over on the left. Can you hear the audio? I can't. And it's cut off on the right. Hmmmm.... but it's cute, right?! :)
* Bookr - LOVE it, but I see how students could get caught in here and never return! Sometimes having lots of options for young children (unlimited photo access) is difficult! However, I love it, and it would be a great way to teach students about how to find copyright-ok photos!

No comments: