Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thing #3: Skype and other things...

I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of skype and video-conferencing camera-type stuff, as a general rule. I don't like the way I look when I catch myself in a computer-camera image... and it distracts me from the task at hand when I am able to see myself talking and communicating with others. Maybe this makes me shallow, but I can't ever stop looking at my wrinkles and my stupid facial expressions, etc. I am definitely not one for movies or TV exposure, for sure!

However, kids LOVE skype and all types of camera-based learning and enjoyment opportunities.

Thoughts on using skype and cameras in the Library/school environment:

* virtual visiting author
* online storytime (could even be done in the summer! so fun!)
* communicate between classrooms for teacher lessons and student presentations
* virtual book clubs - students in classrooms (or at lunch or something), Librarian at her desk or in the Library doing a book club from halfway across the campus
* teacher/librarian training from campus to campus

The possibilities are endless! I look forward to having cameras and other visual products in the Library, hopefully SOOOOOOOOON! :)

No comments: