Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #11: Digital Citizenship

If I could never talk about anything else in the Library again, this would be my permanent topic. It's so incredibly important to help our students understand how to navigate the Internet, various new technologies, and all that these 2 categories entail.

If I were doing a lesson Digital Citizenship right now, I'd start by helping students understand the importance of "telling the computer who they are"... i.e. make sure you log on correctly. I'd then move to teaching about not telling anyone ELSE on the internet who they are! 2 very different things with 2 very important distinctions!

If my students can get these 2 things in the first few weeks of school this year, I'll be happy! Digital Citizenship goes on and on through understanding privacy, being respectful computer citizens, understanding the student role in today's technology, etc., but my first order of business will be to help them get on, and help them stay private while they're on there!

No comments: