Friday, August 7, 2009

Thing #7: Videos

I am guilty of not using videos enough with my students in the Library. I frequently am a person who uses the "teachable moment"... and what I mean by that is, I have lesson plans every week, but I don't always follow them. This means that if I find a cool video on YouTube or another video site that is blocked, I usually want to use it in 30 mins with my students, not in 24 hours... which is how long it usually takes to get ZamZar videos returned to me. I am not a fan of the multi-step video conversion process... I want to be able to take a link and go right to it with no waiting.

That said, this "thing" gave me tons of sites that I think are unblocked in my district to explore and utilize videos in my library lessons. I am so happy to have been directed to some of them! I selected a couple of videos below that I think will be useful at some point this year!

I really like TOTLOL... I think kids will love looking at AAAALLLLLLLLL the animal videos on here.. I got lost looking at some of the puppies and kitties and wild animals! The white tiger video I selected is actually translated from spanish, so it will be nice for my native spanish speakers to enjoy listening to their own language, while my english speakers will have to read subtitles. I think that's cool. :) My only concern is that it's powered by YouTube... will they be blocked at school? I don't understand...

I have heard of Blinkx, but haven't used it. There is a great link on the home page to the "kids" category, and students can scroll through one of a zillion appropriate videos to learn how to do something, explore science, animals, and the world around us. I really love this site! I have provided the link to making tissue paper stars (something tons of young girls enjoy - along with a lesson about Van Goh). I didn't see the ability to imbed the video, though.

Super fun!

No comments: